As a parent, you often want to partake in all the fun, but know bringing the toddlers along is just going to ruin said fun. You see, I have a very active almost-two-year-old that likes to run free, exploring and tearing from any form of hand holding or restrictive chairs (eating out is no longer an option). That’s why my ears perked up when I heard that a local brewery, Lincoln’s Beard, would be hosting a monthly child-friendly event called Recess. I attended my first this past weekend and it was so great! Sure, the weather was stifling (hello August in Miami!) and I was sweating from every orifice in my body, but seeing how happy Luna was to run around more than made up for it.
The event allowed parents to drink the brewery’s beers (responsibly) while socializing and munching on some excellent food trucks (Taco and Tattoos’ Tako Krew and Mr. PB+J), and gave the kids plenty to do too (without getting in too much trouble). Luna was especially mesmerized by the bubble machine, the Jenga pieces and dancing to the DJ’s tunes. There were also kid-friendly vendors sprinkled around the brewery that catered to the kiddo’s interests. Despite the 90+ temperatures, Luna stayed and partied for a little over 2 hours, and I have to say that I can’t wait for next month’s events. I am highly appreciative of businesses that realize parent life is hard, and plan events to make it less so.
Some constructive criticisms?
- Changing table needed! They used a pack and play as the changing station, which gave me the heebie jeebies. BUT they sectioned off the entire upstairs of the brewery for breastfeeding, which is wonderful. I changed Luna up there instead.
- More activities! Luna is used to going to daycare and entertaining herself with everything and anything. She’s a curious kiddo. But it would have been nice to have even more activities for the kids aside from Chalk, hula hoops, Uno, Jenga and a bubble machine. Maybe a water play station to beat the heat? Even sprinklers! Ball pits, etc.
- The music was a little too loud (for kids).
- Making that specific event non-smoking would have been nice.
- Some more outdoor fans for the patio area because man, is it hot.
Do any of you guys know of more kid-friendly events in South Florida? Luna loves to go out but sometimes it’s difficult to find toddler-appropriate outings in this city!