September 17th, 2014 | Posted in Blog, Personal by Meli
My awesome blogger buddy, Megan, over at The Nerdy Girlie shared some of her blogger confessions and asked her followers to do the same. I think this is a great idea, because a lot of the time, I feel like bloggers don’t really talk about what goes on behind the scenes – even with each other! It’s been refreshing to read other bloggers’ lists and see that I am not alone in the things I struggle with and equally, the things I enjoy as being part of the ever-growing blogosphere.
1. I wish I had more time for my blog. Even though it may not seem like it, I have a full-time job away from the blog. This makes it very difficult to focus 100% on it, which always makes me feel like I’m not churning out the best content, promoting it enough on social media or updating the layout enough. I often find Sundays to be my go-to day for blogging, along with any free mornings I may have where I feel inspired. However, I really wish I had more free time to make it more of a priority. Yep, you could say I have blogger’s guilt.
Read the rest of this entry »
September 15th, 2014 | Posted in Fashion, Geekery by Meli
1. The Holy Trinity Tank; I need this so badly. I mean, it’s my life in a nutshell (I’m sure along with every other fangirl). Is there anything else to life? Not to me there isn’t! This would be the perfect casual convention tee, paired with your favorite jeans or a high-waisted skirt and a fandom hair accessory. Easy, comfortable, but still expressive enough to get some high-fives!
2. Sailor Jupiter Dress; can I have a moment? Maybe two? Every time I lay my eyes on Living Dead’s Sailor Scout skater dresses, a little piece of me dies. They are all ridiculously perfect, seemingly fit like a glove, and must be mine. I was brainstorming an intense Sailor Scout cosplay for upcoming Animate Miami, but now I think I’ll pick up one of these babies and accessorize, accessorize! I’m really loving this fandom dress trend, especially when it’s done right!
3. Sailor Moon Pin; I am a firm believer that pins are the best geeky accessories. This is probably because they are so easy. Just push one in to your tee, purse or elsewhere and you are promoting instant fandom. This is a personal favorite of mine for conventions where I don’t cosplay. This Sailor Moon pin is a fun and slightly cheeky take on your typical scout love, which naturally makes me dig it. Check out the shop’s sticker sets too – they are swoon worthy!
4. Smaug Pop Figure; I am fire, I am death, I am….adorable? I dare you to tell me that you have seen something cuter than Smaug the dragon gone pop. I mean, I had a verbal reaction when I saw it (all sorts of squeals, gasps and other unintelligible noises I’m not proud of). This is only one out of the two variants (but clearly my favorite), and it will be available next month for purchase just in time to add a little geekery to your Halloween decor!
5. Cupcake Bikini; not necessarily a “geeky” find, but freaking adorable nonetheless. I found this ridiculous must-have via Instagram, who introduced me to my new blogger crush, Mermaidens. She’s kind of perfect and I must own her entire wardrobe (she dresses like a ice cream cone & I love it). This retro high-waisted suit is from Pretty Attitude and coming in at less than $40, it’s good enough to eat. Buy, I mean buy.
September 12th, 2014 | Posted in Personal by Meli
I hope you enjoyed our guest posts from our buddy, Jessica! I really appreciate her covering me for a portion of my travel time, but I actually have some free time now to throw up some posts of my own. I was surprised at how much I missed the blog during this past week and some change (well, I’m missing a lot of things to be honest), so I’m glad I got the opportunity to get back to business!
Since I do travel quite a bit, and these next 2 months are taking the cake with three different trips lined up back to back, I figured I would bestow some of my most essential travel tips on you all;
1. Make lists; nothing gives me greater joy than starting a trip list. I know this may make me a very strange person but it helps me not forget a single thing. I also have the ability to plan outfits beforehand. This is especially important for longer trips where you will have to wear the same item in different ways in order to maximize space, or for events where you know you will be photographed or will have to attend important functions (for a geeky blogger like me, that’s convention packing). I even make multiple lists for the same trip leading up to departure, such as things I have left to buy or all the last minute items I have to throw in my bag right before I leave. Go ahead. Mock my OCD.
Read the rest of this entry »
September 10th, 2014 | Posted in Geekery, Parties, Party Planning, Personal by Jessica
This was my joking response the first time my fiance asked me to marry him. Of course, the way that he asked was “Are you taking my last name when we get married?” I didn’t mean it (I’m totally taking his last name), but he did. After being together for almost three years, we’ve decided that it’s the right time to make ourselves crazy for the next 14 months and get married on Halloween 2015. When it all comes down to it, I really am the luckiest girl in the world and I’m happy that, through whatever happenstance, our lives pushed us back together. (Our “first date” never actually happened and we were briefly split up last year through no one’s fault but ultimately determined that wasn’t going to work.) He and his whole family feels the same way about Halloween that I do and with it falling on a Saturday next year, the date seemed a perfect fit. He works full time and I’m a full time student with a few other things on my part time plate, so we decided that it wasn’t too soon to start planning, and we’ve also got a move on our plate between now and the ringing of wedding bells. If you want to tag along as my journey continues, I’ll leave a link to my currently empty wedding board on Pinterest at the end of the post. But for now…
Read the rest of this entry »
September 8th, 2014 | Posted in TV by Jessica
With my time here nearly finished and my wedding geekery post coming tomorrow, technology permitting, there’s one other thing that September’s brought with it since 2008. Tomorrow night (Tuesday!) at 10 PM on FX, the Sons of Anarchy ride again. If you’re a fan of the Reaper Crew, tomorrow night’s season premiere comes with a bittersweet note because this is the show’s final season and the finale date has even already been set (Dec. 2). Through its run, the show has had a little bit of something for everybody when it comes to guest casting, featuring rocker Dave Navarro, Disney star Ashley Tisdale, “Pensatucky” of “OitNB” Taryn Manning, Danny Trejo, real bikers including Sonny Barger, and a handful of FX favorites in roles you might not expect to see them in, to this year’s additions of shock-rocker (do we still use that term?) Marilyn Manson, Lea Michelle and Annabeth Gish.
After an explosive finale to the penultimate season, pushing the ever mounting body count even higher (and I won’t spoil the major deaths there, though one of those ones there at the end felt very overdue to everyone in my household, and… We’re not the only ones still mourning the loss of Opie, are we?), the series’ return tomorrow night is titled “Black Widower.” The episode is set to pick up with Jax in jail, ten days after the deaths and events of the season finale. It’s been a strange trip, full of loss and violence and peppered between with lightness, surprising humanity and humor. There are undoubtedly more losses to come in these final thirteen episodes, and I couldn’t be more excited to see where it all winds up.
Will Jax make it out alive, will he suffer his father’s fate, or will he make himself a martyr for his club and his boys? Will Gemma finally have to answer for her years of villainy? Were you as curious as I was how many body parts Otto could stand to lose before he finally went on to be with Luanne again? Are you as hopeful as I am that this premiere will include the seemingly prerequisite shot of Jax’s bare backside? Will Wendy somehow wind up with her son back? And can we please get Ray McKinnon back as that weird-o US attorney? Every weird thing he said and all those meaningful glances left un-answered. Will you be tuning in to keep up with the final ride for the Sons of Charming, CA?