Think of this as a “what’s in your bag” beach edition. For us Miami natives, beach season is year round (go ahead, hate away), but we’d be lying if we said we didn’t enjoy it that much more in the summer. The summer months mean you play with your work/school schedule enough to give yourself the time to hit up South Beach or The Florida Keys more than usual. I subscribe to this way of thinking.
Being raised with my toes in the sand and always having an extra bathing suit in my trunk, I know what should and should not be in your beach bag. And I’m here to share the wealth with you today. So dust off that tote, and get a few sit ups in because we are headed to the coast, lovely readers!
1. Maxi dress; a maxi is the perfect go-to for beach days. It’s light, comfortable & doesn’t take up any room when packing. Plus, they usually look great layered over an adorable bikini. This one from Conversation Pieces just screams sunshine & fruity drinks (you know, the ones with umbrellas in them).
2. Bright sunnies; to me, sunglasses should make a statement, and what better way than with a bold color? Make sure they don’t clash though – these tangerine shades work great against my maxi’s tropical pattern (similar).
3. Fedora; even though you will be applying plenty of sunscreen, any extra (fashionable) coverage from the sun is always welcome. A hat is the perfect way to do so! I absolutely love this multi-colored fedora because it goes with almost everything in my closet (no longer available, but try an equally versatile black one)!
4. Fun mini wallet; save space in your bag for big, bulky beach towels by shrinking all necessities, including your wallet! It’s not like you are going to need everything in your every day wallet while laying out and drinking piña coladas, so keep it small and basic. I am still squee-ing over this adorable Boston Terrier wallet from Target.
5. Neon sandals; it’s Miami! You gotta inject some sort of neon into your wardrobe. For those of you that may be a little neon-shy, a pair of fluorescent-hued sandals may scratch the itch in a more subdued way (similar).
6. Sunscreen; as mentioned before, gotta take care of that skin! Although tans are nice, cancer is not.
7. Travel-sized perfume; I don’t know where I’d be without my Travalo. Probably stinking up the entire car after a long day in the sun, that’s where.
8. Instax film; although I recommend sitting back and enjoying what nature has to offer at the beach (after some envy-inducing selfies naturally), sometimes it’s fun to take some souvenirs home – and I’m not talking seashells. Ocean spray and sunshine always make for the perfect Polaroid backdrop, so take advantage and bring along your favorite camera and some film (if needed). Or you can use your phone & mosey on over to the Polaroid Fotobar to convert technological savvy into vintage memories.
9. Perfectly-sized tote; it’s the beach. Pack light! A medium sized bag is all you’ll need to tote these essentials – anything bigger will just cramp your style (and your shoulder)!