This past weekend I turned thirty___.
At this point in my life, I feel like I actually have learned quite a few things (I often don’t feel any wiser).
- Speak up, don’t stay quiet.
- When I was younger (i.e., just a couple of months ago), I was very meek. And quiet. I let things slide. I have realized that in order to get what you want and make your voice heard, you need to use it. This often gets women labeled “a bitch,” but I will gladly take that title if it means I have an opinion, a stance and can defend myself.
- There is no timeline for anything. Live your life at your pace.
- I’m not sure if this is the case with other cultures, but I know for the Hispanic culture, we are often pressured to do x by x age. That is sure to be the death of you. Don’t let anyone dictate your journey or what you should be doing while you are on it. You don’t have to do anything. Knowing this has been so liberating. I am no longer part of the flock, which is a perfect seque into the next lesson…
- BE YOURSELF. Don’t try to conform for anyone.
- A lot of times we are forced into certain little boxes of how we should act and be. That is nonsense. Be yourself and you will see a difference. I would often hide the true me, but now I embrace it. It has brought me so much positivity and love. I feel more at peace that I am being true to myself and do not feel the need to change for anyone.
- Do what makes you happy. Put YOU first.
- This is something that I have known for quite some time, but it made itself known again this year. Do not feel like you are stuck. You have the power to change anything and everything. I just did recently, and I feel like a brand new person. Don’t wait to be happy or just settle. You are better than that. Your soul will thank you.
- Surround yourself with people that get it.
- This also may be an obvious one, but it really isn’t. You don’t HAVE to spend time with people you do not like or do not bring something to your life. I don’t have a lot of free time anymore, and I think that prompted me to really think about who I was giving that precious time to. I have surrounded myself with a bunch of amazing people that are supportive, intelligent and make me want to be better. Tightening my social circle has made a world of a difference.
And finally, my own personal quote for this year:
“If you listen to people, you won’t live.” – Taraji P. Henson